The Open Market Snapshot is the weekly update that brings commercial energy buyers to up-to-speed with the UK markets in a minute. It's just part of the Market Intelligence we publish every week, including our in-depth Open Market Report and twice-daily notifications in our Open platform.
Open Market Intelligence comes straight from our Performance Traders - it's the same insight that backs our Open Performance Fund and helps our
customers locate and secure the best energy contracts, no matter their buying type. Outperforming the market every season, it's no wonder our trading desk has been shortlisted as Best Energy Traders at The Energy Live Awards. Find out more!
> Market Snapshot: 18 June 2018
Currency: Sterling v Euro
- A US-China trade war has broken out after President Trump applied $50 billion in tariffs to Chinese goods. China has threatened to retaliate. This trade war is set against the backdrop of increasing military tensions in the South China Sea.
- Angela Merkel’s position as the German chancellor is under increasing pressure due to a rift with coalition partners over immigration. Uncertainty in the EU’s largest economy could weigh on the euro.
- Fears of June EU summit failure. Britain must propose solution to Northern Ireland border situation. Summit on 28th and 29th of June.
Brent Crude Daily
- The US-China trade war weighed heavily on oil pricing last Friday.
- OPEC meets this Friday (22 June) with an expectation that the cartel will increase production. US oil production is already at record levels.
- Recent reports suggest Venezuelan oil production is falling at 10% per quarter, potentially offsetting some of the OPEC production increases.
- Chart analysis: Despite an early-week bounce, there is no rationale for continued upside in the near-term.
UK Gas (Winter '18) - [indicative of the Power Market]
Gas & Power
- In the near-term UK gas demand remains weak. Maintenance on the interconnector means the UK cannot currently export gas to Belgium and the UK gas system is well supplied at the start of the week.
- European gas storage levels remain 6% below last year’s levels as Russian gas flows to Europe continue at unprecedented levels.
- There is no visibility on future LNG cargos into the UK, against a backdrop of very weak LNG flows so far this Summer.
- Chart analysis suggests a rationale for some very near-term price support. The longer term picture remains negative.
- Power prices are broadly following gas pricing.
The insight that powers our Open Performance Fund's market-beating results
The Gas and Power fund that brings our performance to your portfolio
We developed the Open Performance Fund as a new route to flexible energy contracts. It's a simple model that targets performance, sharing the savings with our customers. A growing number of fund members have confidence in our risk-managed approach as well as our constant performance.
And performance is key. We not only publish our seasonal results; we're the only energy consultancy with independently verified historical performance in the energy consulting industry, we've outperformed the market for over two years.
Built by industry experts, with the input of energy users, the benefits are clear:
- Access the wholesale energy markets through the Fund driven by performance
- Our Fund members have confidence in published results and live tracking through the Open platform
- Our unique shared savings structure keeps the emphasis on performance and the benefits for energy buyers
- 100% out-performance since the fund's inception with all results Independently verified by a Top-25 City firm
Learn more about our Open Performance Fund and see the latest results