The Open Market Snapshot is the weekly update that brings commercial energy buyers to up-to-speed with the UK markets in a minute. It's just part of the Market Intelligence we publish every week, including our in-depth Open Market Report and twice-daily notifications in our Open platform.
Open Market Intelligence comes straight from our Performance Traders - it's the same insight that backs our Open Performance Fund and helps our
customers locate and secure the best energy contracts, no matter their buying type. Outperforming the market every season, it's no wonder our trading desk has been shortlisted as Best Energy Traders at The Energy Live Awards. Find out more!
> Market Snapshot: 11 June 2018
Currency: Sterling v Euro
- Donald Trump is set to meet North Korea’s Kim Jong-un in Singapore. There have been no noticeable movements in stock markets or safe havens such as gold or dollar.
- G7 tensions followed the weekend's summit. Members rounded on President Trump's economic policy and they failed to agree the final communique.
- Sterling has weakened against the euro at the start of the week on the announcement that UK manufacturing output fell 1.4% in April (the lowest level in five and a half years).
Brent Crude Daily
- It appears that Russia has already boosted oil output to levels higher than those envisioned by OPEC, before before both parties were scheduled to agree increases at the next OPEC meeting (22nd June).
- The US drilling rig count has hit its highest levels since March 2015 as US oil output climbs.
- The weekly CFTC report suggests that US hedge funds continue to liquidate their long oil positions.
- Chart analysis would suggest Brent looks moderately weak. A close below $75.30 is bearish in the near-term.
UK Gas (Winter '18) - [indicative of the Power Market]
Gas & Power
- Two LNG tankers are expected into the UK this week.
- The gas interconnector with Belgium will close for maintenance for 2 weeks this Wednesday, meaning more gas will stay in the UK.
- European gas storage levels are 5% below last year’s levels but on a par with 2013 levels (when European gas storage experienced its previous lowest summer starting level).
- Chart analysis suggests a close below 61p is bearish for the benchmark Winter’18 gas contract.
- Power prices are broadly following gas.
The insight that powers our Open Performance Fund's market-beating results
The Gas and Power fund that brings our performance to your portfolio
We developed the Open Performance Fund as a new route to flexible energy contracts. It's a simple model that targets performance, sharing the savings with our customers. A growing number of fund members have confidence in our risk-managed approach as well as our constant performance.
And performance is key. We not only publish our seasonal results; we're the only energy consultancy with independently verified historical performance in the energy consulting industry, we've outperformed the market for over two years.
Built by industry experts, with the input of energy users, the benefits are clear:
- Access the wholesale energy markets through the Fund driven by performance
- Our Fund members have confidence in published results and live tracking through the Open platform
- Our unique shared savings structure keeps the emphasis on performance and the benefits for energy buyers
- 100% out-performance since the fund's inception with all results Independently verified by a Top-25 City firm
Learn more about our Open Performance Fund and see the latest results